Calls to our offices are currently being diverted to our Office Manager who is working from home.
Calls will only be answered between 9am and 5pm Monday – Friday.
Outside these times or if the line is busy please email your name and number and a brief message to and we will return your call.

Where Can Domestic Violence Victims Turn During COVID-19?

This entry was posted in Family Law on by .

The COVID-19 health crisis is affecting everyone across the globe and is placing enormous strain on Governments and businesses.

It is also placing enormous strain on families particularly those who are self isolating and who are having to spend an unusual amount of time at home with their partners. Add job insecurity together and financial pressures together can raise the risk of’ Domestic abuse ‘.

‘Domestic Abuse’ includes a wide range of behaviours that includes physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, financial abuse, harassment and coercive control. Abuse of any sort has no place in the family home or elsewhere.



1) Call 999, if you are imminent danger. The Police should act in any dangerous situation and that could lead to arrest, bail conditions, orders and ultimately prison.

2) Seek the advice of a family Solicitor. Nicola Barrow of DRN Solicitors is extremely experienced in this field and is associated with a charity that deals with Domestic Violence.


The courts are still open and URGENT applications can be made for NON MOLESTATION ORDERS and OCCUPATION ORDERS.

A Non Molestation order is an order that prohibits the ‘ABUSIVE PARTNER’ from using or threatening violence, harassment or intimidation, or instructing anyone else to do so. It can prevent the abuser from contacting you directly or indirectly and include provision preventing the abuser coming to your home or place of work. The orders can also protect children. Breach of the order is a criminal offence and can result in the abuser being committed to Prison.

An Occupation Order gives you rights of occupation and allows the court to make an order requiring the the abusive partner to allow you to live in the property if they have thrown you out.  It could also provide for the abusive partner to be made to leave the property and deny them the right to come back for a period of time. Breach of the order is a contempt of court and a power of arrest can be applied. This would mean the Police could arrest and bring the abusive partner before a judge sitting in the Family Court. 

Finally there is the children to consider in all this, it is important to understand that a parent has a duty to act in the best interests of the child. Domestic Abuse also effects the children whether it is a result of them witnessing it or because they are directly subjected to it. Orders can be sought in relation to the children.

Despite the pressures of everyday life Violence and Domestic Violence has no place. DRN Solicitors can offer help, guidance and support. Please contact Nicola Barrow, Head of our Family Department on 01282 433241 or email